Sunday, November 7, 2010

Getting a little carried away with being a hostess

Last week I was informed that this year I will be hosting my family's Thanksgiving dinner because it's going to be "smaller than usual."

How much smaller do you ask?

Smaller by one person.

Yep, one.

I was nominated to cram 14 adults into my little townhouse for a sitdown Thanksgiving dinner because it's not usual number of 15.

Because I'm a bit of a worrier, I've had all the normal Hostess thoughts "where is everyone going to sit"....."What should I make for dinner"...... "I really need to clean the house before people come over"....

Ya know, the typical stuff we women fret over when people will be coming over to your house for the very first time.

After having those thoughts I've subsequently had many other not-so-normal thoughts about what projects I should take on before the holiday which is 3 weeks away.

Here's what's gone through my head as rational home improvements that I could tackle before good old Turkey Day:

"Well gosh, 14 people? I'm going to need more chairs. Oooh, that anawhite.com site had cute upholstered chairs that didn't look too hard. I know, I'll make 4 of them."

"And if I'm going to make those, I should really make that cute bookcase I want to make for my living room since it'll look so much nicer than the Target cupboard we currently have."

....."and really, if I'm going to be staining the new bookcase, I might as well make the 2 new end tables I've wanted to make- just to make sure the stain matches."

"And I've never really liked the color of my headboard, this would be a great opportunity for me to reupholster that like I've always wanted...."

I was noticing the pit in my stomach and tried to figure out why my body was suddenly super stressed out.

Oh could it be that I've mentally assigned myself the task of building enough furniture to furnish a house??

Needless to say, I don't think I'll be tackling any of the above projects before Thanksgiving- well maybe the headboard (that's the easiest). I'm still hoping to do the bench I told you about last week, but I need to slow my role with rebuilding every piece of furniture in my house.

Slowing my role didn't so much happen when I was in church this morning because all I could think about was adding shelves to all of our closets for more storage space so we can clean out the closet of our office. Which may or may not have included mentally building a new closet organizer.

I told you last week, when I find something to obsess over love, I have a tendency to over-think it so much that I love the life outta it- literally smother the life outta it. I'm like Lenny from Of Mice & Men when I get a new project to love/think about it. {Lenny voice} "I just want to hug it and love it..."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Having company is the best way to get projects done. With kids & families coming in the next few months, Dan is busy installing shelves by the garage entry and building the screen porch on the back of the house. I'm simply thrilled. His 'do it yourself' approach and save $$ didn't quite work out that way in the entryway, because I had to go buy 6 large woven baskets to organize the shelves....CHA-CHING! (Even at 40% off!)
The screen porch is going to look great! Of course then I want the stonework around the screened patio to match the sidewalk out front, so we have a 'sunny' sitting area, too...CHA-CHING!
Then we'll need at least a table-top heater so we can use the screen porch even in the winter...and the propane tanks to keep it going...CHA-CHING!
Not to mention the new kitchen towels I need to get...the clear plates I bought to hand-paint and the colored chargers, so my holiday table will be extra special. Can't forget the fresh flowers...CHA-CHING!
I'm going to hate when the next credit card bill arrives! ;-( But I will hostess with confidence!