Friday, July 16, 2010

Brainwaves are important. I wish I could get mine to work.

I've been thinking that it might be a good idea for me to get an EEG to measure my brain waves. Not that I think there's anything seriously medically wrong with me but I think my brain activity would actually be quite an interesting puzzle for the medical world.

This is what I remember from my high school biology class, so if I'm wrong with how the brain actually works then so be it.
I picture a normal brain to be firing the little neurons back and forth like a skilled volleyball team, from one synapse to the other- back and forth, back and forth, causing people to take the logical thoughts they're having and verbally communicate them like a well oiled machine.

When I picture what MY brain looks like, it's more like a swirling vortex of the rapid-succession firing of neurons- but only a fraction of those neurons are actually being caught so there are older, missed neurons floating around the atmosphere clouding up the space. Those neurons are mixed with tidal waves of powerful emotions that numb smaller neurons that handle common sense things.

This makes me think that it's time to have a little chat with my Catcher Synapse about his job performance. A Mandy Moment is when he's taking a coffee break but there seem to be more and more missed neurons that's he's supposed to be catching even when he's not on one of his illicit coffee breaks.

Maybe it's lack of job satisfaction? Maybe he's overworked from catching the completely random neurons that he has to string together to make one coherent thought? Hmm, maybe that's it because that would be exhausting......

Whatever the reason is he's definitely letting tons of neurons fly by. The problem with that is the missed neurons continue to float in the swirling vortex of my brain until they're either caught at a much later and very random point, or they slowly die off.

Either way, there's a problem.

But how do I motivate him to do better? It's not like I can give him any more vacation time than he already uses- that's for sure! Coffee seems to be a good motivator for him in the mornings but it's not really something I'd like to rely on for forever. I mean, before I know it, Catcher Synapse will be so lazy and sluggish that I won't be able to think clearly enough to brush my teeth without the help of coffee.

I don't know how to fix him but I've had a recent string of poorly articulated conversations which has really put a thorn in my side and has caused some serious havoc. I was a communication major for goodness sakes! How can I be communicating so poorly that I'm on the verge of needing to hire an interpreter?!

Luckily, I have a friend that is already acting as my interpreter, she's saved my arse on countless occasions by piping up and saying "what Mandy is saying is....." when the people around me aren't understanding. It's crazy because she hears and understands me but literally no one else does and it's not their fault, it's MINE. I'm my own worst communication enemy so the next time I say something that sounds like it's a partial thought, please forgive me and ask Holli to translate.

No comments: