Saturday, July 24, 2010

Too much of a good thing makes it not a good thing

I love my food. I mean, I really love my food. It's to the point of where pretty much every day, I fill my belly to maximum capacity so the food literally has to wait in my esophagus until there's more room in my belly for the food to enter.

I'll wake up feeling like a beached whale from last night's dinner because the remaining food that was waiting to hit my belly, finally makes it.

It's disgusting.

And yet strangely awesome at the same time because of how much yummy food I got to consume.

Tragic. I know but I just can't stop myself.

The other day I got a SEVERE craving for one of my favorite foods: Mac & Cheese. Even knowing the my husband probably wouldn't eat any, I decided to make it. A full glorious 9x13 pan of deliciousness.

The first night was heaven. I ate myself silly.

The second day, it was still awesome.

It's now been 5 days and I'm still eating it and I practically cringe when I open my refrigerator and see my 9x13 pan staring back at me.

Ugh.

Don't get me wrong, it's still awesome but one can only have so much calorie ladened awesomeness before even the most devote food lover, like myself, needs to call it quits.

So here it is, knock yourself out. The best mac & cheese recipe you'll ever try- just be sure to have someone around to share it with you because a 9x13 pan will knock you on your ass.

Four Cheese Macaroni
1 16oz pkg Rotelle noodles
9T butter
½ C shredded Muenster cheese
½ C shredded Cheddar
½ C shredded sharp Cheddar
½ C shredded Monterey Jack
1 ½ C Half and Half (plus maybe ½ c. more)
8oz. Velveeta
2 eggs, beaten
1/4t salt
1/8t pepper
1/2lb diced bacon, cooked
Panko (similar to breadcrumbs)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C)

Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil, add pasta, cook 8-10minutes or until al dente. Drain pasta and return to pot. In a small saucepan, melt 8T butter, stir into the macaroni.

In a large bowl, combine Muenster, mild and sharp cheddar cheeses and Monterey Jack cheese....mix well.

Add the half and half, 1 1/2 cups of cheese mixture, cubed processed cheese food, and eggs to macaroni; mix together and season with salt and pepper.

Transfer to a lightly greased deep 2 1/2 quart casserole dish (or 9x13 pan). Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese mixture, Panko/breadcrumbs and 1 tablespoon of butter.

Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes or until hot and bubbling around the edges.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let's see...I'm supposed to be watching my weight (so I'm watching my carbs) and working on reducing my cholesterol, which means reducing my intake of fat filled dairy...Guess I can't make it until after my next blood work is done! Laurie ;-)