Saturday, June 26, 2010

Ignorance really is bliss

Unfortunately, I was not blessed with a good complexion. Having a mother that had acne as a teenager and a father with adult acne, my gene pool isn't exactly an anomaly when it comes to what my complexion will turn out to be. I was blessed with acne in my teens, starting at age 13 (thanks mom) which has continued into my 30's (thanks dad).

I'll never be a dewy face model that gently splashes water on my face in a skincare commercial as if it's the most refreshing experience I've ever had. Nope, I log many hours in the bathroom with my lengthy cleansing process in the mornings and evenings. Such is life.

I hate wearing my contacts so I generally wait until the very end of my regimen before putting them in (because those extra 15 minutes make a difference when I have them in for 15 hours a day?....uh....shutup and leave me alone). So really, I pretty much get ready for my day blind but even despite that, I like to tell myself that the end result generally works- not too many foundation jawlines or missed spots.

Well one Saturday I switched up my routine, I put my contacts in in the morning and then a couple of hours later went to start my regimen thinking- "ooh today's makeup is going to be great because I'll actually be able to SEE".

I look in my mirror with my contacts in and see myself sans makeup.

YIKES!

Holy #$%^#%^ do I really look like that??

Eesh, no thank you.

My skin is like a brand new car- shiny and bright red.

I'm pretty sure Rudolph would have some stiff competition for guiding Santa's sleigh. He only had the red glowing nose- I've got the red glowing/shiny nose, forehead, chin AND cheeks so take that mythical reindeer!

It had been so long since I've clearly seen myself, I forgotten what I really look like without the help of my wonderful camouflage makeup. So a big heartfelt thank you to Maybelline, MaryKay, Avon, CoverGirl, L'Oreal! Without you, I'd never leave the house.

Sometimes ignorance really truly is bliss. I think I'll go another 20 years without seeing what I truly look like again thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I try to avoid seeing my bare skin, too. I don't even like my husband of 16 years to see me without makeup. Thank the good Lord for BareMinerals!!!

~Annie~