Tuesday, June 8, 2010

My life at 30 begins.

In a few days I shall officially become 30. Yep, I said it: 30.

I didn't think the big 3-0 would have caused me to take a second look at my life but it has. 30. Seriously, 30.

I've still felt relatively young and hip because I'm in my 20's and that's just how people in their 20's feel.

But 30? Ick.

Just today I was talking to a client and having pretty laid-back fun (probably not quite professional) conversation when I got curious: how old is this guy anyway? So I looked and my gut reaction is "oh, he's old. He's older than I thought he would've been." Do you want to know how old he was? He was 31. 31 and I my gut reaction was: OLD. Here I am on the cusp of 30 and I'm thinking people 365 days older than me fall into a different generation- Generation Old.

I've always pictured my life a certain way and when I pictured being 30 I pictured a very different version. Here's what/where I pictured being as my 30 year old self:

- I'm living in one of those adorable (now don't confuse the word "adorable" with small) arts & crafts bungalows in a beachfront community. I have a kicka$$ kitchen and a huge walk in closet filled with trendy clothes that I can actually fit in to.



- I cook healthy gourmet-quality meals in said kicka$$ kitchen daily.

- All of my friends live nearby and frequently stop over in the middle of afternoon for a glass of iced tea and a nice chat in the sunroom.

- Twice a week I can be seen riding home the neighborhood farmers market with fresh flowers and a nice bottle of wine in the basket of my bike.


- Please note, as you see me riding my bike from behind MY behind can be compared to two perfectly ripened grapefruits and NOT two bowling balls shoved into my pants. Got it?

- I have gorgeous hair that's split-end free and naturally highlighted by the sun. And there's never any unsightly root regrowth.

- I don't have a single rogue hair growing out of any moles or anywhere else on my body where there shouldn't be hair (chin this means YOU).

- I don't work and yet my days are filled with purpose and meaning. My husband works 3, 5 hour shifts per week (hey, a girl needs her quiet time).

- And because his work schedule is so flexible we frequently travel to our villa in Italy.

And last but certainly not least:

- My 17 year affair with zit cream comes to an end. Permanently.

So as you can see, I have some HUGE things coming my way within the next 48 hours. Suddenly 30 isn't looking so bad!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mandy you are so funny! I applaud you for being so dilligent with your blog! I wish I could update as often...I'm going to link you from my site, and check it daily! Hope you had a wonerful birthday!

Mandy said...

Well thanks Beth! I have people that get "angry" with me if I'm not updating often so I try my best to keep the fans happy haha.
Thanks for the link!

Missy said...

Looks like you handled your 30th relatively unscathed. Trust me, I imagined I'd have a lot more at 30 than I do now, as well. In fact, I may or may not have hyper-ventilated over it, hahaha! But after the initial shock, it's all good:) Keep writing!

Missy