Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Nature or nurture

I've never really been a go-getter kinda person. I'm actually more of a sit-down-and-watch-other-people-go-get-it-on-tv kinda girl.

Today I was talking to one of my "active" friends and she was talking about how someone she knows just sits inside all day watching tv and playing on the computer.

....uh.....

I knew the response that she was looking for was something along the lines of "oh my gosh, what a waste! She should really get outside and do something!"

But because my actual reaction was "that sounds like the perfect life to me" I quietly smiled and refrained from comment.

My friend is up at like 5:30 in the morning so she can go workout and then take a half hour walk BEFORE work. Then after work she's riding her bike for another 45 minutes. I envy her and yet I cannot fathom doing that much activity in any given day, on purpose.

She said she'd go stir-crazy if she were to come home and sit around all night.

This is precisely what I do on any given night so I started to wonder: if she goes stir-crazy from lack of activity, would I go lazy-crazy from the lack of being lazy??

Makes sense to me.

If I have more than 3 social outtings scheduled for the week I start to panic and feel like I'm "never" home so I actually schedule time to be lazy. So there we go, lazy-crazy hypothesis confirm- I require lazy time to avoid going crazy.

I wonder if I'm genetically predispositioned to be this lazy or if my laziness is a learned behavior.
I'm leaning towards genetics because it's always easier to blame all my problems on that than to actually unplug my computer and heaven forbid go for a walk just because.

But if my theory is that I'm genetically predispositioned to be lazy, then my unborn children will all be lazy homebodies that play videogames all day long and never actually go out and play.

HERE is where I'd like to say that that thought motivated me enough to go outside for a walk. Instead, it caused me to practice my future-favorite motto "do what I say, not as I do."

Plus I don't want to have to fight my children for the computer. It's mommy's turn.

1 comment:

Rathlisberger Family said...

I love your last lines! I think you should start saving those and when your blog gets huge you could make a coffee table book! I'd buy it!