Saturday, June 5, 2010

There's really no such thing as a free lunch


Today my good friend invited me out for lunch and a couple of Saturday afternoon Bloody Mary's. Without any children at home or plans for the morning, who could refuse?? Oh and did I mention that the Bloody Mary's come complete with: beef stick, cheese cubes, giant olives, pickle, (clean) celery, and a beer chaser so really each drink is like a small delectable full course meal. So how could anyone rightfully decline such an invitation?!?

Anytime someone invites me to do something fun, my Funometer screams: YES do it, it's going to be so much fun! And yet my more broke sensible side says: no, you can't go- you want a new couch that you need to save for!

But when the offer of Fun and Free comes my way I can't resist. The words "my treat" are heaven to my ears.

So I go and have a wonderful time of good company and yummy eats and drinks.

Then the bill comes.

And I dutifully pull out my debit card because by this time I know full well I've earned my fun so it's time to pay the piper. And let's face it a couple bucks here and there for Fun Time keeps me sane. And yes, I can easily rationalize each and every splurge with that statement. Hence being broke 90% of the time.

So when someone else pays for my meal, I can't help but feel like a total a$$hole.

I mean, the meticulous banker side of my brain rejoices but every other part of my brain feels like a chump. No one has money spurting out of their ears. You shouldn't need to buy my nachos. Not to say that I don't appreciate you buying my nachos but I don't want to eat away your own couch/wedding/car/baby fund either.

I recently heard my mother-in-law say "buy it, that's WHY you work." Which is so true. I work to make money. And I spend money to have fun.

Oh this could be dangerous. I work. Does that mean I can spend my money on whatever I want? Seems to me like that math adds up....

So wait, does that mean working ultimately equals fun?

Hmm.

I may need to remind myself of that on Monday morning when my alarm is going off and I'm doing the silent inventory of my body to see if there are any ailments where I can rationalize calling in sick.

Working=money=fun, so go to work already!

What I'm trying to say is that trite saying of "there's no such thing as a free lunch" really is true. Either I feel guilty for spending the money on my lunch or I feel like an a$$hole that's taking advantage of you for paying for my lunch. Is there no way to win??

Oh Lord of the Lottery, please allow me to win so I don't need to put myself through this every time I want a Bloody Mary.

6 comments:

Kruger Kids said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kruger Kids said...

I don't know why my comments wouldn't post and then showed up three times. Dumb.

Anonymous said...

My opinion is you should live like no one else so later you can live like no one else. Then later you can give like no one else. You"ll understand better in 2 weeks.
Bubs

Mandy said...

NeeNee, as soon as I get enough followers to quit my job so I can blog full-time I'll be all over the every-day-update request. Spread the word.

Bubs, you just confuse me. I'm a simple girl and even though you used small enough words, my brain couldn't connect those dots.

Anonymous said...

As the person quoted saying, "Buy it! That's what you're working for." I do need to clarify that it applies only if the desired object is on sale, and your need overrides my naturally conservative...okay, cheapskate...tendancies. I am not what you would consider a shopper. More often than not, I carry something around the store until the urge passes and I am compelled to put it back on the rack. Perhaps you mis-understood my advice? Perhaps I said it because I have always wanted someone to say it to me, so I could actually buy something without feeling guilty. For example, just last night Annie talked me out of going on a shopping trip to find something to wear for Jack's baptism. She said she thought my one shirt and capris would look just fine....Whew! Laurie ;-)

Mandy said...

Laurie, funny enough you weren't even saying that to/about me, you were saying it to Dan. And I didn't actually misunderstand your advice, I just decided to "hear" what I wanted to and manipulate it to fit me and my purposes so you're off the hook :)